Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A Show Review and Husker Du

The Changes & Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - 12/12/06 - The Creepy Crawl, St. Louis, MO

Last night, I made my way out to The Creepy Crawl to see The Changes and Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin. This was my first visit to the Creepy Crawl's new location in Grand Center; due to schedule conflicts I've missed some great shows in the location's first six months, including Tapes 'n' Tapes, Tilly and the Wall, and The Stills. It's a good space for live music, and I'm glad there's a cool music venue in that part of town, but it just isn't The Creepy Crawl, lacking the appropriate levels of grime and, uh, "character". I kind of feel like they should have given it a new name and let the Creepy Crawl reside in a happy place in our collective memory.

ANYWAY, I got there near set's end of the third band of the evening, Troubadour Dali. They are local and decent. They seemed very young. Good music, but the vocals were a little shaky. WIth time, I have a feeling they will end up sounding pretty good. That's one of the great things aobut the Creepy Crawl, though - they let unproven local bands share the stage with touring bands way more than pretty much any other venue in town. The Changes were up next. They ruled my face. I highly recommend them. They were very engaging with the crowd, and seemed to be good people all around. They started the set off with the opening track from their album, Today Is Tonight, "When I Wake" and closed out the 40 minute set with "Her, You and I", a song that, on record, seemed to be an obvious set closer. In between at least songs, the band played "House Fire" by SSLYBY via an iPod hooked up to a PA to pimp SSLYBY, which was cool in an odd sort of way.

SSLYBY, from Springfield, Missouri, was good, too, but not as good as The Changes. They seemed very young and not entirely comfortable on stage, but that changed as the set went on and the band gained steam - by the end, they almost seemed like a different band than the one that had started plying 45 minutes earlier. I imagine they are getting better live with each and every show, so that's good to see. If you get a chance, you should definitely check out both bands.




Man, I love YouTube. Here's some great footage of Husker Du performing on "Live In London".

The clips are divided into seven parts. Enjoy.

"New Days Rising" and "It's Not Funny Anymore":


"Everything Falls Apart" and "The Girl Who Lives on Heaven Hill":


"Terms of Psychic Warfare", "Powerline" and "Books About UFOs":


"I Apologize", "If I Told You" and "Folklore":


"Chartered Trips":


"Diane":


"Celebrated Summer":


And, as a bonus, here is footage of Husker Du performing in San Francisco in 1985:

"Diane", "Hate Paper Doll", and "Green Eyes":


"Divide And Conquer", "Pink Turns To Blue", and "Eight Miles High":


"Makes No Sense At All", "Louie, Louie" (featuring Minutemen and Meat Puppets):

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home