Thursday, June 01, 2006

For all the Ladies



It's been a while since I've been to a rock show that's so hot and humid and sticky that it's hard to breathe, but on Wednesday night, I found myself packed into the sold-out Creepy Crawl with 317 other people. I was kind of surprised when I first heard that the Josh Homme-less Eagles of Death Metal would be playing such a tiny venue, but I suppose they may have booked the show with the expectation the Creepy Crawl would have already relocated to its larger space on Washignton Ave., in Grand Center. Fortunately, I did not make it in in time to see the opening band because, based on what I heard of them while waiting in line, if I had had to suffer through them in the stiffling heat of the Creepy Crawl, I probably would have murdered somebody.

After a small wait, the Eagles of Death Metal took the stage. Despite some technical difficulties involving singer and guitarist Jesse Hughs' guitar and an overall low volume level (which prompted a few calls from the audience questioning the mustachioed one's true rock-ness), the crowd was certainly pumped up to see them. By the third songs, the technical problmes had been taken care of and the volume turned up to a Rock Appropriate level. Hughes and second guitarist Larry "Bud" Mellman look-a-like, Dave Catching, provided enough rock to overcome any hurdles. The band tore through their catalogue, also throwing in a cover of Steeler's Wheel's "Stuck in the Middle With You," before they took a short encore break. They came back out for a short encore and ended the set with a cover of the Stones' "Brown Sugar."

Despite the heat (which was Hughes' second favorite topic to comment on; the first, of course, being all the ladies), they put a great show and left everyone sweaty, exhausted and exhilarated. Which is the only way they'd have it.


See more pictures on flickr.